Friday, 6 March 2015

March 6, 2015

Literacy

This week in in literacy, we've continued our writing based on the story plans we crafted last week. I've come across some really great stories with some interesting problems for our main characters to solve. 

Student's are at various points in the authoring cycle of writing, revising and editing, publishing and illustration. 

We've also continued our weekly guided reading centers and word work.




Math

This week in Math we've been examining problem solving questions using addition skills and have begun to explore subtraction using mental math, number lines and 100 squares. These are skills you can continue to work on with your child at home.

Science

This week in Science we've continued to explore structures and building secured structures. Earlier in the week we had Bricks4Kidz come in to work with our class on building structures with Lego. Check out some of the pictures below of that day.

I'd like to thank Beth Thompson, the owner of Bricks4Kids who graciously donated the opportunity for our class. Beth is a parent of one of our students in another class at our school and owns a franchise of Bricks4Kidz, located right on 14th Street and 20 Ave NW. Check out her website below:




















Social Studies

This week in Social Studies we've been examining what urban centers are and their features, who lives and visits urban centers. Student's looked at our own buildings in downtown Calgary, as well as other famous structures from around the world. Students then created their own urban center through art and wrote to describe their work. We then created a cinquain poem about our urban center using a bank of words our class came up with.



Opera News

This week was exciting in that we had our Opera Reveal with Darren from the Calgary Opera. The children were very excited to finally have a glimpse of it!

On Friday, the Calgary Opera came to our school to present the opera The Scorpion Sting. It was an opera based on Egyptian mythology. Here's some reflections on it:

Vedat: I liked the singing in it.

Parker: I liked how they had the music.

Emma: I liked the costumes.

Brooke H: I liked it when the scorpions were singing.

Carson: I liked the background.

Ellery: I liked the characters.